Everyone has a story and in this year we are going to review our unique history as a
120 years old company. Piece by piece we all are going to learn a bit more about Merivaara.
1901 The story of Merivaara begins
Two young blacksmiths Juho Sjöstedt, later Merivaara and Richard Polsa establish Helsinki New Iron Bed Factory, Polsa & Sjöstedt in a stone shed in Helsinki, Grand Duchy of Finland, on 8 November 1901. The new company has four employees. Juho Sjöstedt is only 23 years old, Richard Polsa 33 years old. In the beginning, production is limited to iron beds and all kind of forge work.
1903 High-quality products bring new customers
Customers appreciate Polsa & Sjöstedt’s high-quality products and stone shed expands from a workshop to a factory and moves to new premises in Helsinki, Finland.
1906 Juho Sjöstedt changes his name to
Juho Merivaara, first public award received
The national awakening of Finns means that many change their originally Swedish last name into Finnish language. Juho Sjöstedt becomes Juho Merivaara and the company’s name is changed to Polsa & Merivaara.
The company wins the second prize in an industrial exhibition in Finland for its iron bed.
1908 Juho Merivaara becomes
the sole owner of the company
Juho Merivaara buys Richard Polsa’s share of the company for 24 000 golden marks.
Products are again awarded in an industrial exhibition in Finland.
1909 Satisfied customers bring more business
The company is growing fast and employs already about 60 people. Good quality and satisfied customers are the reasons for the growth.
1910 The first operating table comes out from production
Merivaara follows carefully the emerging industrial development in Finland and starts producing hospital furniture. The first operating tables are manufactured.
The sales network is expanded, stores are established in Terijoki and St. Petersburg, representation in Tallinn.
1911 Products are awarded again
Products receive an award in an industrial exhibition in Finland.
1913 First price in an exhibition in Tallinn
Products receive the first prize in an exhibition in Tallinn. The company has already 78 employees and the value of the production is respectable 614.000 marks.
1917 Own factory built
The own factory building is completed in Helsinki the same year that Finland becomes independent. The company has now over 100 employees.
1923 Merivaara becomes a limited liability company
Corporation is formed and registered as J. Merivaara Oy. Majority of the shares is owned by Juho Merivaara.
To be continued…